7.31.2012

Graduate student spotlight: Caroline Schmitz


Caroline Schmitz
Caroline Schmitz, a second-year master's student with a concentration in advertising, is set to graduate in December 2012. She is originally from Natchez, Mississippi.

Where did you complete your undergraduate work? The University of Mississippi.

What helped you decide to choose Grady's AdPR program for your master's degree? Actually, Google. I Googled and visited several college ranking sites for Advertising programs. I found UGA ranked very highly among Journalism departments. I applied to UGA, LSU, and Tennessee. LSU was too close to home, Tennessee was too far, and UGA was just right.

What are your areas of interest for research or for a future career path, and why? I'm very interested in working on the industry side of advertising. I'm not sure yet whether I want to be client side or agency side. I would also be happy working for a magazine, non-profit, or fundraising organization.

What kinds of activities (work, internships, etc.) have you been involved in during your graduate experience? I have held a job with a university fundraising company called RuffaloCODY for the past three years, and I also supplement my income by driving delivery for Papa John's Pizza. In addition, I am a summer advertising intern at Flagpole Magazine.

What part of your Grady experience (classes, professors, etc.) has been helpful in your graduate program? I have had several professors including Dr. [Leara] Rhodes and Dr. [Karen] King who have helped guide me in my career goals and in the path I am taking. 

What's been your favorite part about living in Athens?
I love the historic aspect of Athens. I love the focus on the local community and the music and art scene. I also like the size of the town, it's not overwhelmingly large, but is still the biggest town I've ever lived in.

What are your career goals? I would like to obtain a job in an artsy city, like Charlotte, North Carolina; Austin, Texas; or Portland, Oregon. As I stated earlier, I would be happy working in an agency, client-side of advertising, fundraising, or in magazines. 

What advice would you give to someone who is considering pursuing an Ad/PR graduate program? Besides making good grades as an undergrad, getting a good GRE score, and finding a program that's suited to your career goals (for example Tennessee is more research-driven than creative- or industry-driven) I would suggest getting as much experience as possible in the form of internships, jobs, etc. 

No comments: