9.05.2011

AdPR Recent Alum Spotlight: Katherine Strate

Katherine Strate graduated from Grady in 2009 with a degree in Public Relations. She currently resides in Atlanta.

What are you doing now and how did you get there?
I am working at Jackson Spalding, a marketing communications firm in Atlanta. I've worked at JS since I graduated, and got my foot in the door with the company through an internship. The summer after my junior year, I was an intern in our Athens office and got some great experience that helped me get an internship in Atlanta when I graduated. After six months, they offered me a full time position!

What is your favorite Grady memory?
I was very privileged to go on the very first PRSSA trip to Washington, D.C. my senior year. It was an incredible week of learning about our profession, bonding with friends in my major, and building a great network. I loved that Grady gave me the opportunity to travel like that with Dr. Jones, Dr. Middleton, and Dean Cully and all of my friends. It was an awesome week!

What advice do you have for current AdPR students?
Differentiate yourself in your resume. Many of the AdPR resumes that come across our desks look the same. Feel free to add some spot color to your resume, and make sure that you actually have experience that makes you stand out to potential employers. If you don't have an internship, volunteer somewhere and do work for free. Use your creativity and your ability to work independently to build your resume and your network.

No comments: