10.25.2011

AdPR Internship Spotlight: Kelley Kirstein

Over the summer, Advertising major, Kelley Kirstein interned with Comedy Central in New York City.

What were your responsibilities at Comedy Central this past summer?
I provided overall support to the corporate communications department team. I also conducted Internet research for production of the network's daily press digest and compiled the daily press digest. My other responsibilities included creating and maintaining contact lists, drafting press releases with the supervision of a publicist, attending wekly staff meetings and other show-related meetings, and DVD/tape dubs.

What valuable information or skills did you learn at your internship?
I learned about important programs like Cision, Critical Mention, Excel, and Photoshop as well as the ins and outs of the entertainment and cable industries. We were taught how to work as a team and to be creative when coming up with solutions for public relations and marketing related problems. MTV networks also offered many informational sessions for its interns that also taught me about the importance of networking and gave workshops on how to make the most of your internship experience and improve your resumé.

Did anything you learned in year Advertising or PR classes aid you in your internship?
My Advertising and PR classes helped in teaching me the language used in the industry, but for the most part, I would say that a good deal had to be learned on the job through understanding the company I worked for and how the operated.

What was the best part of your internship experience?
The best part of my experience was all of the connections I made, within the press department and beyond, even in some of the MTV Network's other channels. I learned so many things about the way the entertainment industry works because of how helpful and open my supervisors were, and how much they wanted me to succeed.

What advice do you have for other AdPR students seeking an internship?
The advice I have for other students is network, network, NETWORK. Our fields are largely based on how our personalities mesh with the companies we are interviewing with, and it is important to make personal connections with everyone you meet because you never know who will one day be in a position to help you out, or who already is! Do not be afraid to reach out and ask for informational interviews because the most important thing I learned is that to get a job or internship, you just need to get your foot in the door and follow up. Once you are in, it is much easier to move around to the position you most want to be in!



No comments: