11.30.2011

AdPR Alum Spotlight: Kristen Green

Kristen Green graduated from Grady in 2007. She earned a degree in Advertising and a New Media Certificate.

What are you doing now and how did you get there?
I am currently a Content Strategist at JWT in Atlanta. After graduating from Grady in December 2007, I began my career in Account Service at JWT in February of 2008. I learned a lot about the advertising business in my first few years, as I had the opportunity to work across multiple clients that spanned the gamut from cell phones to the U.S. Virgin Islands.

In December of 2009, I hopped the fence and began my foray into Digital Strategy as an Assistant Digital Strategist. Digital Strategy was a perfect fit for me and I was now able to apply both my passion for all things digital as well as the knowledge I had gained through Grady's New Media Institute. I was able to use my nerd love for apps and gadgets to make recommendations and positive impacts on clients' businesses.

In May of 2010, I was promoted to Content Strategist on the United States Marine Corps account. Not only is it awesome to work for such a prestigious client like the Marine Corps, but the burgeoning field of content strategy has been a fun field to dive into head first. I've had the opportunity to do so many things in my role ranging from drafting the content for a major web redesign to all the way to being on a Marine Corps base collecting video content that will live on our websites. I have loved every minute of it. Digital and content strategy is where I have found my niche, and I am excited to see what the future holds as I plow forward in my career.

What is your favorite Grady memory?
Although walking across the stage and receiving my diploma and Grady pin will always be precious to me, I have to say that my favorite Grady memories are the long nights I spent in the halls of the building formerly known as the SLC (now the MLC) working all night on projects with fellow Grady classmates. Putting in those long hours on projects with a team is an exact replica of what you will be introduced to in the real world of advertising: teamwork, collaboration, long nights, lots of red bull and making memories that last a lifetime.

What advice do you have for current AdPR students?
Soak it all in. Campus. Athens. Football games between the hedges. Ringing the Chapel Bell. Lectures from brilliant professors. The ability to sleep in until noon. The vast array of knowledge from professors and peers. Soak it all in. College goes by so fast. The irony is that while you are in college, you can't wait to get out into the "real world", but once you're out, you would give anything to go back. So savor the late night cram sessions and take advantage of this time in your life to focus solely on learning and bettering yourself.

Go above and beyond in your projects. Seek out internships, opportunities to study abroad and be a hand raiser when called upon to go the extra mile. Not only do these things look good on a resume, but they make you a better person. When you go to those first terrifying interviews you'll learn that its less about what awesome accolades you can cram onto one piece of 8.5" x11" paper, and its more about the experiences that have molded you into who you are. People want to work with a team player who is passionate about what they do. So be passionate, soak it all in and relish away the days that you get to walk down the hallowed halls of Grady and across our beloved Athens campus before you move on to the "real world."

No comments: