2.05.2013

AdPR Internship Spotlight: Dana Balch

Dana Balch

Dana Balch is a junior from Alpharetta majoring in public relations. 

Where do you intern? I am a PR intern for Amy Flurry, a local author.

What are your responsibilities? I get to do so much! I help build media lists, assist her in pitching media, and occasionally write for her blog.

What valuable information or skills have you learned thus far at your internship? I learned that you can call just about anyone! I was compiling a list of magazine editors for her, and was shocked by how easy it was to get an editor on the phone. She also taught me a lot about public relations. After reading her book, Recipe for Press, I used the tools to promote my blog, Athens Street Style. We received both local and national coverage!

What activities are you involved in at Grady/UGA/Athens? I am a member of PRSSA. Through PRSSA I work with Creative Consultants, the on-campus PR firm. Our client this year is the National MS Society. I also run a street style photography blog that features well-dressed students.

What part of your Grady experience (classes, professors, etc.) has been helpful in your internship or work experience? PRSSA and Dr. Betty Jones have been such a help. I’m going to Washington D.C, my dream city, with PRSSA this month to tour agencies. I’ve made contacts by attending meetings and through Creative Consultants, I’ve gained valuable work experience.

What has been the best part of your internship experience? Amy often has us meet with local artists, bloggers and professionals. We spend the first hour learning about their career and getting a our of their creative space, and then the second half we talk about growing Recipe for Press. I love having such a hands on experience with a company that is just starting out. Every success is very exciting!

What are your career goals?  I hope to work in the fast paced world of agencies. Maybe even start my own one day!

No comments: