8.08.2013

AdPR Student Spotlight: Erin Nicole Sikorski

Erin Sikorski
Erin Sikorski is a junior majoring in Public Relations with minor in Communication Studies, from Lawrenceville, GA. She is interning at the Red Cross in Washington DC.

What encouraged you to apply to Grady College?
I applied to Grady because I wanted to do something practical and creative with my interest in writing and communication.

What activities are you involved in at Grady/UGA/Athens?
At UGA, I am a member of PRSSA, a public relations committee lead for UGA Miracle, a member of Phi Mu, and I finished a trip called Give Back right before I started my internship.

What kinds of internships or work have you been involved in, and what were your responsibilities?
I am interning at the Red Cross national headquarters in Washington, DC this summer. I’m working in the communications department for the Service to the Armed Forces division. My main project is to complete an internal public relations toolkit for local chapters around the country to use for Holiday Mail for Heroes, a program that encourages Americans to thank and support military members and veterans by making and signing Christmas cards.

What part of your Grady experience (classes, professors, etc.) has been helpful in your internship or work experiences?
The best part of this experience has been being involved in such an influential organization. I have learned first-hand so much about not only working in public relations but also about all of the impact that the Red Cross has, especially in regard to American Armed Forces.
I feel that the classes and professors that I have had so far fully equipped me to handle my responsibilities here at my internship.

What advice would you give to someone who is considering pursuing an Ad/PR program?
I would tell a person considering ADPR to go for it. The skills they will learn will be applicable to whatever they end up doing, whether they pursue an ADPR-specific career or not, and that they will enjoy their time spent in Grady.

What are your career goals and interests?
I’m not positive what I want to do with my public relations degree. After exploring a few different areas of the field, I think that I may be leaning toward eventually working for a non-profit doing communications work.

No comments: