2.02.2015

AdPR Student Spotlight: Jamie Gottlieb

Jamie Gottlieb is a senior public relations major and sociology minor with a New Media Institute Certificate. Jamie is from Alpharetta, Ga.
Jamie Gottlieb, senior PR student 
What encouraged you to apply to Grady College?  

I've always wanted to be a part of the media industry, and there's no better place to get a media education than from Grady College — it just earned the No. 2 spot in the country!


What activities are you involved in at Grady/UGA/Athens?


Throughout my four years at UGA, I've participated in many different organizations. I've been an editor at The Red & Black, promotions director for TEDxUGA, Peabody Awards student judge, Creative Consultants assistant account executive and Grady Ambassador. Outside of media, I'm a member of Sigma Delta Tau, Order of Omega and Omicron Delta Kappa.


What kinds of internships or work have you been involved in, and what were your responsibilities?


Most recently, I worked as the social media intern for NBC News in New York City. I absolutely loved working for the network and being in the city. While there, I created videos for NowThis, MSNBC on-air and MSNBC's Instagram. Also, I put together social trend reports for NBC News' various brands and managed an internal social networking platform.


In previous summers, I worked as the digital engagement intern for Turner Broadcasting's Talent Development team as well as an editorial intern for Cygnus Business Media.


What were the best parts of these experiences?


Being able to create, develop and execute work that mattered. While at NBC, I was contributing to the network even as an intern. I gained a true sense of independence while living in New York and loved every minute of it.


What part of your Grady experience has been helpful in your internship or work experiences?


Developing relationships and garnering advice from professors and alumni. Though classes teach skill, professors and alumni will help you focus on what you want to do and how to do it well.


What advice would you give to someone who is considering pursuing the AdPR program?


Take advantage of study abroad and opportunities through Grady! Also, make sure to get outside experience away from the classroom. Whether through an internship or a student organization, experience makes you more competitive and strategic when working with clients.


What are your career goals and interests?

I plan on pursuing social and digital strategy, whether at an entertainment company or digital agency. I'd love to focus on brand partnerships or content development — hopefully in New York City!

You can follow Jamie Gottlieb via her website and Twitter.

No comments: