11.10.2015

Darren Anglin Honored with Founders' Award

Earlier this semester, the UGA Black Faculty and Staff Organization held its 13 th annual Founders’ Award Scholarship Luncheon. Following a keynote address by Rev. Francys Johnson, state president of the Georgia NAACP, the Founders’ Award was presented to fourth year Ad student, Darren Anglin.

Anglin is the vice president of the Zeta Nu Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, the treasurer of the National Pan Hellenic Council, a mentor for the Black Educational Support Team and a C.L.A.S.S. Advocate for University Housing. He has impacted countless students, faculty and staff at the university during his four years at UGA, but he is most prideful of an accomplishment that is not printed on his resume.

“I am most proud of accepting and loving myself unconditionally,” says Anglin. “Once I learned to love myself, I found room to love others. Before I knew it, I was giving back to my community, mentoring black youth, and advocating for the equality of disadvantaged groups. I think that's what has made me so successful.”

Darren Anglin was presented the Founders’ Award this year for his intangible impact across the university, and has made memories during his four years that will last a lifetime. One moment that stands out to Anglin is a keynote speech by Maya Angelou during his sophomore year. He recalls the memory by saying, “She told us, ‘You have already been paid for.’ She meant that our ancestors have sacrificed their lives, love and legacy to give me the opportunity to even ‘be’.”


Anglin has taken to heart the opportunity his ancestors have given him. He continues to demonstrate why he deserves the honor of the Founders’ Award, and he makes Grady and the University of Georgia proud.

No comments: