4.08.2013

AdPR Alumni Spotlight: Steve Guyer (ABJ '05)

Steve Guyer
Steve Guyer (ABJ '05), an advertising major, is originally from Royston, Ga.

What activities/internships were you involved while in Grady/UGA?


What are you doing now and how did you get there?
I’m a manager for Viacom’s Kids and Family group, which includes Nickelodeon and Virtual Worlds. I’ve been managing digital initiatives since 2006 when I worked at Grey’s direct marketing and digital agency. In the past, I’ve worked at G2 (part of Grey Group), Experian CheetahMail, AgencyRx (part of the CDM Group Omnicom Group).


What is your day-to-day like at your job? (Any interesting projects that you can share with us?)
We wake up each morning trying to find new ways to make Viacom’s kids and family properties more and more educational and fun. We just wrapped nick.com’s LIVE Kids’ Choice Awards experience which supported the on-air show experience on March 23 at 8:00pm.


What part of your Grady experience (classes, professors, etc.) has been helpful in your career today?
The Campaigns class, definitely. Pulling together teams to do the new business pitches in the Campaigns class was by far the most helpful. Nothing beats real-world experience dealing with other team members. I realized after graduating that while I might take a test on my own, I needed every one of my coworkers to finish projects. Ron Lane was always very supportive of the work that I did and helped me build my confidence.


What is your favorite Grady memory?
There were two experiences that are in my memory:
  • Traveling to New York was really what kicked it off for me. The school arranges the trip for students every year. The trip is a great opportunity to see what an agency looks like inside and a bit about what the environment is like.
  • Working on the Campaigns class was a lot of fun. We worked really late and long hours to make the presentation the best it could be. There really is nothing like seeing an idea go from inception to a fully realized product.

What advice do you have for current AdPR students?
  • Meet as many people, resources, colleagues, teachers, professors, athletes, musicians (you get the idea) as you can since you never know when you might want or need to reach out to them for advice or to join you in your project.
  • Get really involved in any of the projects that you want to take on and drop the ones you aren't interested in (no one cares about a laundry list of clubs if all you did was pay dues--- that makes you a subscriber, not a member).
  • Get ready to work really really hard!

No comments: