7.08.2013

Student spotlight: Alex Woodruff

Alex Woodruff
Alex Woodruff, a Senior majoring in Advertising (Grady College), Marketing (Terry College), and Music Business (Terry Certificate) is from Locust Grove, GA. He's interning at Mashable (NY) this summer.


What encouraged you to apply to Grady College?  
Coming in as a freshman I knew my greatest passion was journalism, at least from an educational perspective. l still hadn't decided which discipline within Grady was my best match however. Though my high school background was in print journalism, after a couple of years at UGA I began to shift more from news-writing to the ADPR side of things. Looking back, I couldn't be happier with that decision.


What activities are you involved in at Grady/UGA/Athens?
I record music under the name Reign and have performed many times in Athens as well as on campus, opening for Big Sean when he came to UGA and Kendrick Lamar earlier this year at Tate Grand Hall. Outside of my music I am an active member of Pi Sigma Epsilon, the Sales/Marketing Fraternity at UGA, and work part-time as a Salesperson for LensCrafters in Athens.


What kinds of internships or work have you been involved in, and what were your responsibilities?
When I started at UGA I worked as a cashier at Publix for about a year before being hired at LensCrafters, where I sell and repair glasses. Last year I was granted an internship through the Terry Music Business program doing marketing work for UGA Alum Pharis Roland and his company BoomFoundry. This summer I was fortunate enough to be selected for an Sales internship with Mashable.com in New York City. At Mashable I work with a team of people who strive to make the site a go-to destination for advertisers worldwide, while keeping the user-experience as undisturbed as possible.


What were the best parts of these experiences?
Easily, my time here at Mashable. This is my first real experience with an established company and it has been phenomenal. Great work environment and brilliant, forward-thinking people.


What part of your Grady experience (classes, professors, etc.) has been helpful in your internship or work experiences?
In all of these work experiences the one constant responsibility I have is that I must be able to communicate effectively. My Grady professors have really helped prepare me for that, and I'm much more comfortable in these internships because of their tutelage.


What advice would you give to someone who is considering pursuing an Ad/PR program?
Go for it! It's an awesome program with a great reputation and an even better faculty.


What are your career goals and interests?
Because of the intensive education I've received at Grady and elsewhere at the University, I have a lot of options once I finish my degrees. I plan to try a variety of fields, test my strengths, and most importantly: never get bored.

No comments: