2.27.2014

AdPR Student Spotlight: Lindsey Gaff

Ad major Lindsey Gaff
Lindsey Gaff is a senior advertising major from Milner, Ga. 

What encouraged you to apply to Grady College?  
When I got into UGA, I knew I wanted to do something creative. To me, getting a degree in advertising was the best way to balance creativity and practicality.  

What activities are you involved in at Grady/UGA/Athens?
The greater part of my time was spent on the executive board for UGA Ad Club. As the VP or Membership, I was responsible for coming up with ways to promote the club and increase membership. Currently I am involved with UGA’s student-run ad agency, Talking Dog. As the copywriter, I work with my team to produce materials for our client, Athens Food Tours. 

I also studied advertising in France this summer with other UGA students at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity.

What kinds of internships or work have you been involved in, and what were your responsibilities? (If you haven't been involved in internships or work, you can mention activity experience)
My first internship with the Downtown Development Authority in Monroe, Georgia was focused on marketing and social media. I was responsible for getting the word out about downtown events through the website, print and social media platforms and monitoring the effectiveness of those vehicles. 

I also worked at The UGA Ramsey Center for over two years as a facility manager. I was responsible for the staff on shift as well as ensuring a pleasant and safe environment for patrons. 

Since July, I have worked as an intern for The Adsmith, an advertising and design agency in Athens. In the spring, I will continue writing copy, brainstorming campaign and design ideas, and creating content for social media. 

What were the best parts of these experiences? 
Each of these experiences (as well as others) has been extremely gratifying in its own way. I think though, overall, the best part of these experiences was learning to think for myself. In each of these positions I’ve had to challenge myself to think critically and creatively to solve problems. It’s amazing what we are capable of when we’re challenged on a regular basis.

What part of your Grady experience (classes, professors, etc.) has been helpful in your internship or work experiences?
The classes that have been most meaningful to me were Message Strategy with Dr. Roushansamir, Global Advertising with Dr. Kim, and Advertising Management with Mr. McCreery. Message strategy taught me the value of the creative process and working on a strict deadline. Global advertising opened my eyes to the various cultures and consumer perceptions worldwide. Management was extremely beneficial in teaching me the overall process of advertising in the context of marketing. Each of these teachers invested in me as a student and increased my understanding of and passion for the industry significantly.

What advice would you give to someone who is considering pursuing an Ad/PR program? 
Let your passion shine through in your essay! It’s a part of the application that goes much deeper than your GPA.

What are your career goals and interests? 
I aim to get a job in the creative sector of advertising, preferably as a copywriter or a planner at a small agency. I am pursuing jobs in Atlanta, as well as other cities in the U.S. and am very excited about the possibility of a career outside of Georgia. 



No comments: