12.23.2016

Intern Spotlight: Missy Harris

Public relations major and AdPR intern Missy Harris
Missy Harris is a senior public relations major pursuing a Spanish minor from Alpharetta, Georgia, and is one two student interns behind the scenes here in the Advertising and Public Relations department of Grady College. 

Who has been an impactful teacher during your time within Grady College?

Dr. Carolina Acosta-Alzuru, Dr. A for short, has been the most impactful teacher during my time within Grady College. This past semester I enrolled in Dr. A’s Telenovelas, Culture and Society class. I decided to take this class because it is a Grady elective and a Spanish class; therefore, I could mix both of my interests into one class. At first, I assumed this class would just be an easy class filled with telenovela clips, but I was very wrong.  Dr. A made this class so much more. With her passion and constant dedication to helping her students learn, Dr. A inspired me to dive headfirst into exploring telenovelas throughout the world. Dr. A always pushed me and my fellow classmates to never stop learning. Overall, Dr. A is the most compassionate and inspiring in my college career. 

What is your dream job after graduation?

Since my start in Grady College as a PR major, I’ve always wanted to work for Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta in the corporate foundation or PR department. With my passion to help children coupled with my communication skills, I think that working for CHOA would be a perfect fit for me. 

What's your favorite spot in Athens?

I love exploring the Normaltown area in Athens. There are always new restaurants and hidden treasures. 


Describe valuable lessons or skills that Grady College has helped develop for you.

Grady College has helped me developed my writing and communications skills. Before my classes in Grady, I was terrified to talk in front of crowds of people. However, through my PR classes, I overcame my fear of presenting. 

One valuable lesson that I’ve learned while a student in Grady College is to get to know those around you: other students, professor and administrators. Networking is a huge part of an industry but especially in PR. 

What has been your most memorable moment during your time as a student within Grady College?

Being a student within Grady College is the best. Grady opens so many doors to so many incredible opportunities. My most memorable moment during my time as a student has to be when I went on the PRSSA Atlanta Agency Tour in 2015.  This tour was exclusive to PRSSA members and was an awesome experience.  We spent the day visiting some of the top Atlanta agencies: Edelman, MSLGROUP and Jackson Spalding. At each agency, we met with some of the top professionals and toured the office space. 

What are your goals for your career after UGA?

After I graduate form UGA, I hope to find a career path in which I can use my knowledge and skills in writing and communication.

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

I would love to go to Paris and experience the city magic for myself.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

In 10 years, I hope to have a career that makes me excited to wake up every morning. I’m driven by my passions, so I want a job that incorporates them into my everyday life. 


Additionally, in the next 10 years, I hope to be an active Grady Alumni. I want to give back to the college that gave so much to me. 

No comments: