1.06.2017

Two AdPR students selected for AAF’s 2017 Most Promising Multicultural Students Program

AdPR students Emily Laramy (L) and Savannah Rabin (R) are a part of the AAF's 2017 Class of Most Promising Multicultural Students
Two Grady College advertising majors have been named to the American Advertising Federation’s (AAF) 2017 Class of Most Promising Multicultural Students (MPMS).
Emily Laramy and Savannah Rabin are part of the elite group of 50 students from AAF’s college chapter network who were selected for the program through a vetted application process that included essays, letters of recommendation, resumes and specific academic requirements.
“We are so proud that two of our students have received this national recognition,” said Tom Reichert, head of the Department of Advertising and Public Relations. “It’s wonderful that the American Advertising Federation has created a program that honors high-achieving multicultural students and also connects them with industry professionals.”
“Being a part of AAF’s Most Promising program means so much to me,” Rabin said.  “I have an incredible love for the advertising industry and I feel as though programs like this are pivotal in further enriching its work and culture. To be recognized in this way is such an honor and I feel empowered and emboldened to make valuable contributions to the ad world.”
Laramy echoed that sentiment. “To know I was selected by a panel of judges made up of advertising professionals means my career goals are validated by the very people who make advertising what it is,” she said. “To have AAF invest in my future, and in broadening diversity in advertising as a whole, makes me hopeful for how advertising will change even more in the future.”
In addition to the recognition, the MPMS program includes a four-day industry immersion in New York City designed to promote diversity and inclusion within the advertising and marketing-related industries. It includes professional development workshops, agency visits and a recruiter’s expo.
“We’ve studied their campaigns in class, but being able to engage with the creators of great work is invaluable,” said Laramy, who aspires to work in art direction and ultimately as a creative director in an ad agency. “Also being able to share this experience with other multicultural students, many of whom I know from participating in the 4A’s Multicultural Advertising Intern Program this past summer, is an amazing perk as I know we all share a focused passion for advertising and will likely be collaborating together in the industry very soon.”
The industry immersion means a lot to Rabin, as well. “Not only will I be visiting NYC for the first time, but I’ll also have the opportunity to network and converse with professionals eager to find talent,” she said. “I’m interested in both strategic media planning and brand strategy. I am still searching for the best fit for my skill set, so I’m excited to talk to more professionals in regards to my potential.” 
Both students attribute much of their success to Grady College and its faculty.
“I feel overwhelmed with gratitude to have professors who go out of their way for students to ensure their success after graduation,” Rabin said. “I am confident I’ll be relying on their expertise well after college as well.”
Added Laramy: “Grady has been a huge part of my journey to join the advertising industry. I applied to UGA in the first place so I could attend Grady, because of its reputation and dedication to the advertising program.”
With an average GPA of 3.6, this year’s MPMS Class represents 34 schools and 20 states across the country, according to a news release from the AAF.
Leading agencies and companies have utilized MPMS year over year as a recruitment tool, including BBDO, DigitasLBi, Google, Leo Burnett, Omnicom Group, Pepsico, Turner and Wieden+Kennedy, among many others.
Kim Nguyen (ABJ ’16) was a member of the 2016 MPMS Class.
Author: Stephanie Moreno

No comments: