3.07.2013

Alumni spotlight: Scott Sparks (ABJ '10)

Scott Sparks

Scott Sparks, a 2010 graduate who majored in advertising and earned a New Media certificate, is originally from Athens, Ga. 

What are you doing now and how did you get there? I work as a strategist at 360i. I started as an intern at Translation, an agency I first learned about through one of the UGA AdClub agency tours in NYC. After interning, the agency extended an offer for a full time position in the spring of my senior year. After two years there, I found a more digital-focused opportunity at 360i.

What is your day-to-day like at your job? (Any interesting projects that you can share with us?) I help brands navigate the rapidly-changing marketing landscape, always making sure our endeavors are laddering back up to aligned-upon strategic objectives. My day-to-day changes a lot, but is typically filled with the crafting of briefs, writing of decks, various meetings or brainstorms with teams across the agency, and presentations to clients. I currently work on Hanes, NBC Olympics, Alamo Rent A Car and National Car Rental. In a nutshell, I do whatever's needed to make sure we're always staying on strategy for each of my brands. 


What activities/internships were you involved while in Grady/UGA? Ad Club, HSBT, NMI, Student Union.

What part of your Grady experience (classes, professors, etc.) has been helpful in your career today? I can honestly say that I've used learnings from the majority of my Grady classes in my career thus far. I'd say my extracurricular activities (i.e. Ad Club, HSBT, study abroad) were even more helpful though. I would never be where I am today if I hadn't gotten involved in AdClub, visited Translation on an agency tour in NYC & stayed in touch with fellow alumnus, Rosie Siman (who was working at Translation at the time). 

What is your favorite Grady memory? Dressing up as the Easter Bunny for an AdClub Easter egg hunt for some of the Grady professors' children. It got ridiculously hot hopping around in that suit, but was really fun (& hilarious) at the same time.

What advice do you have for current AdPR students? Get involved in clubs & activities outside of classes. Don't just do it to put it on your resume, but have fun with it! You'd be surprised at the friendships & memories you'll make along the way. Also to that point, make real connections with people whenever possible. Connections, not solely the trading of business cards at networking events, are what can help you get to that next step in your career. 
Real connections & relationships, not solely the trading of business cards at networking events, are what can help you get to that next step in your career.

Find me on Twitter via @scottwsparks. Go Dawgs!