2.17.2014

AdPR Intern Spotlight: Meghan McLynn

Advertising major
Meghan McLynn
Meghan McLynn is a junior advertising major from Johns Creek, Ga.

What is your official title?
AdPR Turner Development Intern

How long have you been the intern?
This will be my first semester.

What are you looking forward to the most about being the intern?
I am so excited for the opportunity to meet advertising professionals as well as more Grady students.

What encouraged you to apply to Grady College?  
I am creative and enjoy working in groups with others.  I applied to Grady hoping that I would learn in an interactive classroom environment where I could express my ideas to better a project. Grady turned out to be even better than I originally imagined; it has shaped me into a great student and created a passion for advertising within me.

What activities are you involved in at Grady/UGA/Athens?
I was selected as a mentee for the Grady/Atlanta Broadcast Advertising Club Mentorship Program where I have been assigned a mentor and have attended networking events and toured news stations such as WSB-TV and The Total Traffic and Weather Network.

I have been a member of the UGA Advertising Club for the past three years, where I have had the opportunity to listen to advertising professionals and industry leaders speak weekly.  As a team leader in Sigma Alpha Pi, The National Society of Leadership and Success, I organize team meetings and facilitate discussion about relevant leadership topics addressed by guest speakers.  Additionally, I am an active member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority.

What kinds of internships or work have you been involved in, and what were your responsibilities?
This past semester I was a Marketing Coordinator for The Red and Black.  In this role, I was part of a team that went to local businesses in Athens and sold advertising space in the newspaper. Additionally, I interned for High Points Learning, an online math tutoring company in Duluth, Georgia where I reviewed and corrected elementary- college level math problems.

What were the best parts of these experiences?
The Red and Black challenged me to learn every day I worked there.  I had never had a sales job before, and through trial and error I discovered the best ways to talk to different business owners.  Being in the group environment, I adapted to working with various people despite different sales strategies and personalities.  In my High Points Learning internship, I got experience working in an office environment with people much older than me and got to brush up on my math skills.

What part of your Grady experience (classes, professors, etc.) has been helpful in your internship or work experiences?
This semester I took Advertising Message Strategy and Media Planning.  Both of these classes featured major group projects that gave me additional experience working with a team to meet deadlines and accomplish goals.  This helped me greatly while working for The Red and Black because the drive and discipline needed to complete a project parallels the same motivation needed for a sales job.  Additionally, I used my creative skills to design a packet for doctors’ offices including a letter about the newspaper, rate cards, and numerous publications through which a business could advertise.

What advice would you give to someone who is considering pursuing an Ad/PR program?
The best thing a prospective Grady student can do is to get involved on campus.  Join clubs and organizations that are focused on Ad/PR to learn more about the subject and meet others who share the same interests. Additionally, talking to others who are already in the field sheds light on what a career in communications is like.

What are your career goals and interests?
I want to work at a large advertising firm or corporation as an Account Executive in which I can use all my skills to oversee advertising campaigns.  This role will be a stepping stone for a career in advertising leadership.

No comments: