2.17.2015

AdPR Student Spotlight: Kelsey Wood

Kelsey Wood, senior PR major
Kelsey Wood is a senior public relations student from New Orleans, La.


What encouraged you to apply to Grady College?  
First, the Grady name and reputation always resonated with me, and the honor of being a Grady alum encouraged me to apply. Also, the curriculum and faculty was what really pushed me to apply. The courses are not solely PR; you get a taste of everything and become well-rounded, and the faculty are there not only to teach but invest in your life during and after college.


What activities are you involved in at Grady/UGA/Athens?
I am a Grady Ambassador, a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority, emcee and on the outreach committee for Campus Crusade for Christ, the Digital Media Director for the UGA chapter of PRSSA and the Communications Director for the 2015 National PRSSA Conference that will be held in Atlanta.


What kinds of internships or work have you been involved in, and what were your responsibilities?
I interned with Method CPA firm and HA&W CPA firm for a year, and I was involved in tasks from administrative responsibilities to organizing events and conferences to creating decks and rebranding partners intellectual capitol. I interned with a PR strategist company where I was responsible for writing posts for their largest client (TechCXO) on the company's intranet as well as use platforms such as PitchBook, BarleyFire and SalesForce to collect data. Here at UGA, I am the Digital Media Director for PRSSA which includes maintaining the PRSSA website and social media accounts, creating posts and blogs, having contests, and updating website with internship listings and upcoming events.


What were the best parts of these experiences?
The best parts of these experiences was being challenged within each task, and also getting to see all the different sides of the business/organization.


What part of your Grady experience (classes, professors, etc.) has been helpful in your internship or work experiences?
The part of my Grady experience that has been the most helpful has been the faculty always being available to guide you, give you advice, critique your work and treat the classroom like the real world.


What advice would you give to someone who is considering pursuing an AdPR program?
I would tell them, "DO IT!" Honestly, you won't regret it. I would advise to not just go through the motions and go to class, but invest in each moment you have in the classroom and foster the relationships with your classmates and faculty. Most likely, your first job/internship will be through them and your relationship with them.


What are your career goals and interests?
My career goals include working for Coca-Cola or Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and also be involved in international ministry and missions. I would also love to work for Campus Crusade for Christ or Redeemed Girl Ministries. I am incredibly passionate about PR, but I am also in love and passionate for The Lord so wherever I can do both and make a difference in this world is my goal. I love playing with my Miniature Schnauzer, Knight, and exploring the outdoors and nature.

No comments: