4.27.2016

One Advertising and One Public Relations Student Chosen for the ADPR Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship


The ADPR department stands by its students. Because of this willingness to support and provide, there were two students selected for the inaugural Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship. This scholarship seeks to increase diversity and inclusion in the fields of advertising and public relations by providing scholarships to eligible undergraduate students at the University of Georgia who exhibit dedication to diversity through experience, initiative and creativity. Two $1,000 scholarships are being awarded: one for an Advertising major and one for a Public Relations major.

The advertising major selected for the scholarship is Stephanie Addo. Stephanie has built a creative portfolio, and has been involved in The Talking Dog and the University Union Programming Board. She answered the following questions about her recognition, her time at UGA and her future.

What work have you done outside the classroom to be recognized for this award?
After receiving acceptance into the Grady College of Journalism of Mass Communication during Spring 2015 I jump started my academic advertising career with a summer program. For 8 weeks I attended the Creative Circus portfolio school in Atlanta where I immersed myself in all things advertising and all things creative. I practiced my idea, strategy development, and research skills by creating campaigns for many diverse brands. I attained art direction knowledge through projects involving layout, color, content, typography, and studio photoshoots. I also learned the Adobe Creative Suite where I created graphic content, spreads, and photography edits. Returning back to UGA this 2015-2016 school year I knew I wanted to apply of the knowledge I learned over the summer and fine tune my skills. Through student organizations, internships, and freelance work I kept my hands busy creating. I scored an internship with HW Creative Marketing in downtown Athens as a Graphic Design intern for Fall 2015. I joined the student run advertising Agency, The Talking Dog, as an art director for White Tiger Gourmet and the University Union Programming Board as a graphic designer. And I sought out freelance work for clients such as iTeam Ghana to have more practice and build my portfolio. 

What are your career aspirations?
I hope to use my creative ventures and apply them to a career as an art director or experiential marketer and eventually start my own company. Whatever field I find myself in, I want to create content that moves people. 

What are you going to be doing this summer?
I have not finalized my summer plans yet, but keeping my fingers crossed for an awesome internship!



The public relations major selected for the scholarship is Daniella Ramirez. Daniella has served in organizations such as the Residence Hall Association, PRSSA, Dawg Camp and The Arch Society. She goes on to answer the following questions about her involvement and successes.

What work have you done outside the classroom to be recognized for this award?
While I do believe that my achievements played a role in receiving the scholarship, it would be unfair for me to cite any accomplishments as the reason why I was recognized for this award. Above all, I credit my environment as the main reason for my extracurricular involvement. My arrival to UGA provided me with an environment that encouraged careful examination of all parts of my identity and personal story in order to better understand who I am, what I am passionate about, and how both intersect. This journey has brought me to serve organizations such as the Residence Hall Association, PRSSA, Dawg Camp and The Arch Society. My position as a student and membership in each of these organizations has allowed me hone my communications skills, explore different pockets of campus, and create relationships with people I now consider family, who guide and support me in everything I do. If I had to pin point or offer any source or reasoning as to why I've been chosen for any type of recognition, I would have to say that ultimately it all goes back to this place and its people.

What are your career aspirations?
My studies and involvement have allowed me to realize that the term "public relations" in practice, can embody hundreds of different definitions. I believe that at its core, public relations is field driven by authenticity and characterized by intentionality and flexibility. The application of PR efforts look very different at every point of practice, making it a dynamic field that not only speaks to, but is directly fueled by varied experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. As such, I believe that it is fundamental for the field to nurture a diverse taskforce, one that fosters and retains professionals with distinct perceptions. This belief is what leads me to want to pursue a role in Human Resources within the tech industry managing employee relations and moral. I love the tech industry because it combines innovation, design, and creativity to impact the way people live their lives around the world. With this in mind, I aspire to use my communications background and other experiences to help elevate diversity and inclusion efforts within the industry in order to make the industry all the more purposeful in serving all segments in an equal and truly representative manner. 

What are you going to be doing this summer?
I'll be spending my last summer in undergrad here in the Classic City! I'll be working at the Office of Development and Alumni Relations as a communications intern, and serving in my role as Director of Media and Operations for Dawg Camp. As the official extended orientation program for incoming students at UGA, Dawg Camp hosts programs throughout the summer that focus on providing students with a foundation for a successful college experience. I am incredibly excited to be working alongside the rest of my executive board and program counselors to welcome the Class of 2020 to our institution! In my role specifically, I'll be putting together print, visual and electronic communication materials for orientation fairs, parent info sessions, camps, and social media along with coordinating logistical efforts to frame the Dawg Camp experience for our participants. I can't get enough of this place and I'm ready for one last adventure before senior year with some of my best friends, working towards a goal and mission that impacts the place we call home and the people we consider family.  


It's been such an honor to celebrate these ladies who represent the AdPR department so well. Thank you for all you do, Stephanie and Daniella, and congratulations on your scholarship!

No comments: